Friday, May 23, 2008

Spring Cleaning

On our refrigerator is a magnet with a cute saying, "you can touch the dust but don't write in it." Sometimes I want to change it to read, "if you have time to write in the dust, you have time to clean it." No one, however, has taken me up on the suggestion so, it befalls me to do the dusting. I don't mind it. I just don't do it on a regular basis. I guess that's why someone came up with the idea of "Spring Cleaning."

As a child, I can remember Spring Cleaning days when my mother would put the floor rugs over the close line and my brother and I would "beat the dust" out of them. Fun for kids growing up as we practiced our best baseball swings as dust flew around us making us cough and sneeze. This was followed by dusting underneath our beds and turning the mattress. There was lots of dust bunnies hiding under the beds lest they be found by the humans. But we found them only to discover a few days or weeks later they had multiplied.

Now, Spring Cleaning has come to my home. My office is a total mess. Three people have used this office during the past year or so and it is now referred to as the computer room. The CR contains my wife's computer and related stuff as well as some items left behind when our grandson moved out. He has lots of school books, notes, etc. Then there is my stuff. Yes, I'll admit to being a pack rat. My stuff includes college notes, papers, old exams, etc. The computer room is just a hodge podge of stuff which I am trying to sort out and to throw away. The other day, I came across stuff I had not used in five or more years, so I got rid of them. The pack rat in me says that I will need them some day. I hope not as the garbage has already been picked up this week and I do not want to go to the landfill to search for that stuff.

Spring Cleaning may well last into the summer at the rate I am going. If it does, it will be time for Fall Cleaning and a never ending cycle of cleaning. If you should come to my house and you see dust, I'll show you where the dust rag is and you can do your part to keep my home spic and span.

Have a great and wonderful day.

No comments: