Thursday, May 8, 2008

A Good Semester

I teach Philosophy and Ethics part time at a community college. It is a late in life career which brought me out of retirement several years ago. This semester is almost over. Friday will be the last formal class day with final exams to follow next week.

This semester has been a good one for me as I have been encouraged by the students who make up my 3 classes. Many of them have been eager to learn and have participated in small group and class discussions. Others, a minority, have not been so eager to learn which provided me with a motivational challenge. During the semester, I was able to motivate some of the minority but not all. I learned a long time ago, you can't make someone do what they are unwilling to do.

The majority of my students will do well on the finals and with their collegiate education or careers. I have no doubt that many of them will be excellent leaders in the future.

I am thankful I had the opportunity to play a small part in their education. They have touched my life and I have grown.

No comments: