Friday, June 6, 2008

She Did The Right Thing

Last evening, Thursday, June 5, on a local news was a story about a young lady [late teens or early 20's] who was traveling alone in her car around midnight or so. According to the story, she saw lights flashing in her rear view mirror, however, she proceeded to a well lit area before stopping believing that the car behind her may not truly be an official law enforcement car.

When she pulled into an all night convenient store lot, the police yelled for her to get out of the car; handcuffed her; and inspected her car. The young lady tried to explain to the sheriff why she did not immediately stop. {There have been several situations during the last several months in which young ladies have been raped or abducted}

According to the story, the young lady was arrested for failing to yield to a law officer. The sheriff told the news, his men did the right thing as they never know what they will encounter during a pull over. That's true but, not listening to a young lady who tried to explain why is inexcusable in my book.

I have two daughters and I always taught them to do what the young lady did the other night. I, also, caution my female students to do the same. I applaud the young lady--who said she would do the same thing again--and for her folks in trying to help their daughter live safely in an all too unsafe society.

That's my take as I sit and ponder this on My Front Porch.

June 7 update: The Sheriffs Department has withdrawn the failing to yield to a law officer ticket after her parts, the Sheriff and others reviewed the tape from the unmarked officers car. The speeding ticket was not withdrawn. Our daily newspaper is filled with responses in support of the young lady. I won't go into what the Sheriff told her to do next time suffice it to say, what he suggested would get her in deeper trouble.

No comments: