Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Former Student

Yesterday while on campus, one of my former students "blocked" the door so I could not move past her. She had a big smile on her face and open arms to embrace me. We exchanged the normal courtesies and then she said, "Dr. Ron, I will never forget you." When I asked why she replied, "Because of you and your parting thought to us each day, 'know that you are valued, loved, and appreciated,' I'm turning my life around." WOW, her statement blew me away. Why?

Because last semester when I had her in my Ethics class she believed herself to be a loser and did many things to prove to herself and others that she was a loser. She did not care about school. What people thought about her partying ways, etc. She lacked respect for herself and others.

Oh what a joy it was to see her yesterday as the beautiful young lady I knew she could be. She touched my life and I have grown and more than that I touched her life and she has grown.

I end this by saying, "Go forth knowing you are valued, loved, and appreciated."

Dr. Ron

No comments: