Friday, January 2, 2009

Marching to the beat of a different drummer

The holiday season is history. Pondering the past holiday season, I realized this year that I was "marching to the beat of a different drummer." I no longer had to play the games people play during the holidays. I no longer had to be "sweet and charming" to satisfy the church folk at their parties, Christmas musicals, pageants, and worship services. In fact during the holidays, I only went to church once and that was a Christmas musical at one of my daughters' church. I really enjoyed it as it was inspirational and joy-filled"

I made this comment years ago to a group of ministers, "When I retire I will not go to church." Their response was typical in that I had to continue going to church. I asked "Why?" and made the following statement, "When my father retired from Ford Motor Company, he did not go back to work." While I have been retired from the ministry for several years, this past holiday season was the time I chose not to go to church. It is one of those expected games that people play and this season, I chose not to play. It felt good to relax at home watching the various holiday programs on the television. About the only time I go to church anymore is when I am a guest minister [consultant if you wish]. Then if feels good because it is something I chose to do.

As I stated earlier, I march to the beat of a different drummer. My retirement allows me to be the real me with no pretense and fulfilling someone else's expectations. I like this beat. And the beat goes on so that I can do it "my way."

Have a great and wonderful day. Remember, you only have one opportunity in life to be your real self.

No comments: